Wonder Woman Recipe Edition: Cauliflower Fried RIce
Happy New Year Everyone! I’m here with a new recipe, cauliflower fried rice.
Rice ke? Cauliflower is actually the “rice” b/c it has a similar texture to the grains once grated. I KNOW there’s no real substitute (stop cursing me. I KNOW) but if during those no rice weeks, this is a great alternative.
6 cups of grated cauliflower (about half a bushel of cauliflower)
2 cups of sliced peppers (red, green, etc)
2 cups of chopped onions
2.5 cups of broccoli
2 cups of chopped chicken breast ( this is dependent on your choice of meat/how much meat you like to consume)
3 tablespoons of finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 tablespoons cumin
2 tablespoons red pepper
½ teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons of virgin olive oil
(spices can be decreased/ increased dependent on taste. Except for the salt. Salt can only be decreased)
You will need a food processor, blender or box grater to grate the cauliflower
- Break the cauliflower into smaller pieces and place into processor or blender. Do NOT add any liquid to the cauliflower and grate for about 10 seconds or until almost all pieces are grated. Remove and place grated cauliflower into a container as you continue grating the rest of the cauliflower till you reach desired amount. This has to be done little by little or the pieces will choke the motor. If you use a box grater, place grater in a wide container and grate cauliflower until you have desired amount. Remove pieces that did not get chopped by grater or processor if you so choose. Place to side
- Chop up peppers, onions, and garlic. Place garlic separate from onions and peppers. Chop up chicken breast and place aside as well.
- Remove desired amount of broccoli from stalks and mix with onions and peppers. Then mix a tablespoon of red pepper, cumin, and a tablespoon of garlic into the veggie mixture.
- On stove, use 2 tablespoons of olive oil to coat bottom of pot and preheat. Once hot, place chicken into pot. Add remaining seasonings into pot and stir occasionally till chicken cooks fully.
- Add veggies to chicken (if pot becomes sticky add about half a cup of water) and sauté for about 2 min
- Lastly, add cauliflower rice. Sauté all ingredients for about 7 minutes or until the cauliflower becomes slightly softer than when raw. (keep in mind that veggies should be still crisp, just slightly softer than when raw. The longer vegetables cook, the more nutrients they lose)
Serve and enjoy! This makes about 5-6 servings. I make a large amount so I can use it for the week as my lunch. But this is also a great side dish you do get to eat a carb. Like all recipes, this isn’t written in stone. Tweak to your heart’s desire just keep it healthy. (DO NOT ADD ADOBO MAGGI OR EXTRA SALT PPPPLLLLLEEEEEAAAASSSE. Save your cardiovascular systems from the enemy)