So you have been trying to lose weight but it seems no matter what you do, it doesn’t work in your favor! You cant place your finger on what exactly the problem may be? Hey! Wait…How many hours did you sleep last night? You may be SLEEP DEPRIVED!
What does that even mean? Well, research says an adult should get in 7- 8 hours of sleep daily (P.S: the researchers don’t live in Lagos 🙂 🙂 ). So you are sleep deprived if you are not getting in sufficient quality sleep.
But hey, Life is all about balance so read on!
– Insufficient sleep creates a vicious cycle in your body
– it raises your body cortisol level thereby increasing your appetite
– It causes release of the hunger hormone Ghrelin which stimulates your hunger center thereby making you hungry
– When you are sleep deprived you run low on energy and all you want to eat… is comfort foods aka junk food.
– it slows down your metabolism
So how can you get to sleep more and better?
– Make lights out, lights out FOR REAL!
– Turn off your phone or any possible distraction when you have decided to shut down
– What you eat before bed matters. You can not swallow a mountain of eba (Garri/cassava) then go to bed 30 mins later and expect to dream of angels. Mba! Keep dinner light or have that eba at least 2-3 hours before you sleep.
– Limit caffeine intake during the day
– Exercise improves the quality of your sleep. Some swear exercising before bed makes them sleep better. Stick to what works for you. Just exercise!
– If you have a sleep disorder, please consult with your doctor for appropriate management. No Self Medication
I hope with this few points of mine, I have been able to convince and not confuse you to go to bed 🙂 (well not if you are reading this at work…i have a disclaimer oh!!)
There aren't any comments yet.
A comment from you will make my day!